This amazing video has gone viral after someone filmed an orangutan having an emotional reaction to a woman revealing she is pregnant!
The video was uploaded to Youtube by Colchester Zoo visitor Jay Clarke. He described how he took his partner, who was 37 weeks pregnant at the time, out for the day. Then, when they visited Rajang the Orangutan in his enclosure, something extraordinary happened. Joe described how Rajang became, “fixated” with his pregnant partner:
Before long he was trying to kiss my partners belly through the glass. I put my belly to the glass and got a dirty look then when I placed my hand on the glass he tried to push my hand away. So, my partner returned her belly to the glass and Rajang touched and kissed her belly again through the glass. Truly a special animal that has touched our hearts.
For anyone that knows their orangutan facts, you’ll know that the incredible animals sometimes only give birth two or three times in their lifetime. This amazing video goes to show the special bond between humans and animals through the shared experience of parenthood.
Watch the video here…
- Orang-utan means ‘man of the forest’ in Malay language
- They are the world’s largest tree-climbing mammals
- Orang-utans can live up to 50 years in the wild
- They give birth at most once every 5 years, and the interval between babies can be as long as 10 years
- They are a ‘Critically Endangered’ species (read more from WWF here)