Avoid the busy restaurants this Valentine’s and cook up a storm for your loved one in just 1 hour 5 minutes. This steak and stuffed onion dish is a guaranteed love potion!
2 medium onions
2 tbsp olive oil
200g block of feta cheese , crumbled
50g white or brown breadcrumbs
1 red chilli , seeded and finely chopped
2 small shallots , chopped
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp hazelnuts , toasted and chopped
2 tbsp chopped tarragon
3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp chopped parsley
50g/2oz walnut pieces, chopped
1 medium egg , beaten
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 55 mins
HOW TO DO IT
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/ga marks 5. Peel the onions leaving them whole, cut them in half across the middle and remove several layers from the centre of each using a teaspoon and cut up.
2. Arrange onion halves, cut side up in a small ovenproof dish. Pour a splash of water into the dish and brush the onions with some of the oil. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes until tender.
3. Mix the cooled chopped onions in a bowl with half the feta, the breadcrumbs, chilli, sun-dried tomatoes, chopped thyme and parsley,walnuts, beaten egg and some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well until everything’s combined.
Increase the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C.
4. Divide the feta stuffing between the onions, then scatter over the remaining cheese. Drizzle over a little oil from the tomato jar and cook for 20 minutes until the stuffing is bubbling and the feta is golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, put the shallots and vinegar in a bowl and leave for 5 minutes. Add the nuts, tarragon, half the parsley, some salt and 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
6. Oil and season the steaks and griddle or pan-fry for 3 minutes each side for medium rare. Rest for 5 minutes in foil before serving.