Woman thinking - memory lossQ: My mum suffered from dementia and now I am worried as I keep forgetting simple things like people’s names. I am 55, am I getting it too?

A: I understand why you might be worried and seeing a family member with dementia is very hard.

I do urge you to go along to your GP, especially if you are having any other physical symptoms such as headaches, dizziness or mood changes.

Your doctor will want to take blood and urine tests, ask you about your mum’s history and calculate a memory score.

If your GP is at all concerned, you will be referred to a specialist memory clinic. Sometimes simple things like low mood, stress of lack of sleep can cause problems with memory, which can be easily sorted.