Q: I’m struggling to cope with my bills and want to check my employer is paying the  minimum wage. How can I make sure my employer pays up?

A: If you’re over 21, the minimum pay per hour for almost all workers is £6.19. Even if you work for a small company, work part-time, are a casual labourer, a foreign worker or a trainee, your employer still has to pay you the minimum wage.

If you believe you are not being paid the legal minimum, or haven’t been paid it in the past, you can call the free Government helpline on 0800 917 2368 or visit the website (https://www.gov.uk/pay-and-work-rights-helpline) for advice.

However, before you speak to your employer about receiving the minimum wage, it’s important to check you do not fall under one of the following categories, as you are then not entitled to the minimum wage:

  • You are self-employed
  • A member of the armed forces
  • A voluntary worker
  • A worker on a government employment programme, eg the Work Programme
  • A family member of the employer living in the employer’s home
  • An au pair
  • A student doing work experience as part of a higher education course
  • Work shadowing


For more information, visit gov.uk (https://www.gov.uk/browse/working/tax-minimum-wage).

Andrea Ventress, money expert


HAVE YOUR SAY! Have you got more advice to offer on this question? If so, make sure you add a comment in the box below. Plus, if you’ve got a great money saving tip, send it to our money expert for a chance to win £25!