Doctor: what would you recommend

Q: I am 49 and, after an X ray, my GP has told me I have osteoarthritis in my hip which has been causing me pain, especially on walking. I was so shocked – is there a cure?

A: Osteoarthritis is very common and can be treated with a variety of things.

Simple painkillers like paracetamol or ibuprofen may help. Make sure you can take these safely by talking it over with your GP.

Exercise is vital as it strengthens bones, joints and muscles. Make sure you get advice from your GP or physiotherapy to help you do this.

Losing weight to take the stress off joints is also important. Steroid injections, TENs machines and topical creams may help also. Joint can be replaced with an operation if all else fails.

I suggest you go to the website ArthritisResearch UK for further help and advice on the latest treatments.

Dr Radha Modgil

HAVE YOUR SAY! Have you got more advice to offer on this question? If so, make sure you add a comment in the box below. If you’ve got a question for one of our experts, you can also post that below as well.