Cousellor Q&A: Caught in the crossfire

Q: I’m worried about my five-year-old granddaughter. My son-in-law recently split up with my daughter and he gets angry and shouts at her when he comes to pick up their daughter, which really upsets her. There must be a better way to handle this.

Jessica, Bournemouth

A: There are alternatives, so lets look at the steps that need to be considered:

– Arrange for a neutral friend to be there to hand over their child. This may be all that’s needed to calm the situation down.

– If this doesn’t help, your daughter and her ex could visit a mediator to try to work out what’s fuelling this anger.

– If things can’t be resolved this way, your daughter may need to speak with a solicitor to set the wheels in motion to do the handover at a contact centre. Call 0845 450 0280 for information. If your daughter needs support, she could contact the Family Lives Parentline on 0808 800 2222.

Emma Marlin, Counsellor


HAVE YOUR SAY! Have you got more advice to offer on this question? If so, make sure you add a comment in the box below. If you’ve got a question for one of our experts, you can also post that below as well