Couple talking about pensionsQ: How can I make sure the right person gets access to my pension after I die?

A: If you die before you retire, your pension provider will usually direct who benefits from your pension fund.

To make sure they follow your wishes, they should ask you to fill out an ‘expression of wish’ or ‘nomination’ form to help guide them on who you would like to benefit from your unused fund after your death.

If you haven’t filled out or can’t remember filling out one of these forms when you took out your pension, you can request a form from your pension provider at any time.

Make sure you regularly review this form to ensure you’re still happy with your arrangements. You don’t need to pay for a solicitor or even pay to make a change to the form, you simply fill out another one.

Andrea Ventress, money expert


HAVE YOUR SAY! Have you got more advice to offer on this question? If so, make sure you add a comment in the box below. Plus, if you’ve got a great money saving tip, send it to our money expert for a chance to win £25!