Thinking about planning your summer holiday? Let’s face it, trips abroad can be very pricey. So, to help you save as much as you can when booking your much-needed holiday, here are money expert, Andrea’s, top 10 travel websites:
1. Skoosh.co.uk This online hotel booking service sources its hotels through wholesalers, so the prices it offers are among the cheapest on the web.
2. Ehic.org.uk The European Health Insurance Card online application is an essential part of any savvy holidaymaker’s European holiday planning. The EHIC card is free to apply for, is valid for five years and can save you a fortune on any medical costs you have to pay when abroad ,as it entitles holders to only pay for treatment at the same cost as locals.
All family members need a card – even children – and you must carry it with you at all times when abroad, as it’s only valid if you have it on when you are taken ill. The EHIC doesn’t cover you, however, if you’re going abroad specifically to get treatment.
3. Skyscanner A great site if you’re looking to book cheap flights. It scans over 600 airlines and 670,000 routes, so you know you’ll be getting the best deal out there.
4. Kayak.co.uk This top comparison site trawls all the best car hire deals out there and you can book directly via the website. It also is another good tool for finding cheap hotels and flights.
5. Moneymaxim.co.uk Once your car hire is booked (and book early to get the best deals), visit this webiste to compare insurance deals – you’ll save up to 90% shopping around via this site rather than just accepting the hire company’s own policy. It’s also a great site to search for travel money exchange rates and travel insurance deals.
6. Navmii.com If you’re hiring a car in Europe this summer, download a Navfree app for the country you’re visiting via this website. The maps and routes are stored offline on your smartphone, so you won’t even pay excess data charges for accessing them.
7. Trivago.co.uk A really comprehensive hotel comparison site, it searches prices from over 170 websites worldwide and also features hotel reviews to help you make that all-important decision.
8. Holidayextras.co.uk Don’t leave booking airport parking until the day before or the day of travel. Book early via this website and you can save up to 60% on on-the-day prices. In fact, Holiday Extras are so confident they offer the best prices, if you find the same airport parking product cheaper elsewhere within 24 hours of booking and paying, they will give it to you free.
9. Postoffice.co.uk Not only does the Post Office boast one of the most comprehensive and value-for-money travel insurance policies, but it has good exchange rates for ordering local currency and you can also apply for their Travel money card – a prepaid Mastercard that allows you to securely carry currency abroad and prevents you incurring debit or credit card charges for using your card abroad.
10. Bbc.co.uk/languages Don’t splash out on expensive language guides if you fancy learning the lingo for your trip. You can find free guides to over 33 different languages via the BBC site, including French, German and Greek. Use the easy-to-follow video lessons, activities and tests and you could be fluent before you know it!
Andrea Ventress, Money Expert
HAVE YOUR SAY! Have you got more great money-saving websites for holidaymakers? If so, make sure you add a comment in the box below. Plus, if you’ve got a great money saving tip, send it to our money expert for a chance to win £25!