These breadsticks are definitely on the spooky side but will be a treat for your Halloween party guests!
YOU WILL NEED:
225g strong plain white bread flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp caster sugar
½ tsp fast- action dried yeast
1 tsp Very Lazy Garlic Paste
1 tsp Very Lazy Basil Paste
1 tsp olive oil
150ml warm water
1 egg, lightly beaten
25g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
32 blanched almonds
For the dip:
125g soft cream cheese
150g roasted red peppers, from a jar, drained
1 tbsp tomato purée
½ tsp Very Lazy Piri Piri chillies with oil, drained
Serves: Around 32
Prep time: 15 mins, plus 1 hr rising
Cook time: 12-15 mins
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Place the flour, salt, sugar, yeast and garlic and basil paste in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Using a wooden spoon stir in the olive oil and enough of the water to form a dough.
2. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 7- 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
3. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1-1½ hours, or until doubled in size.
4. Preheat the oven to 190ºC, Gas Mark 5. Line two large baking trays with baking paper.
5. Using your fist punch the dough to knock out the air bubbles. Knead on a lightly floured surface, then roll of the dough to a rectangle about 32 x 26 cm. Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife cut the dough in half horizontally, then into 2cm thick strips. Fold one strip of dough in half, so it is 1cm thick, then roll to make a thin finger about 12cm long. Repeat with remaining strips. Pinch the dough to form knuckles and mark with lines. Bend to make scraggy fingers. Place on the baking sheets and brush with the beaten egg. Sprinkle over the cheese.
6. Toss the almonds in a little paprika, then press into the end of the fingers. Bake for 12- 15 minutes.
7. Meanwhile make the dip. Place the roasted peppers in a food processor and blend until smooth. Stir into the cream cheese, tomato purée and chillies.
8. Serve the witches’ fingers with the dip.
Recipe: Very Lazy
Like this? Try these:
Tombstone chocolate pots. A must-have for any Halloween party platter.