Supercharge your supper with this recipe for superfood beetroot soup!
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes, plus making the stock
COOKING TIME: 55 minutes
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp olive or hemp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tbsp caraway seeds
- 800ml/28fl oz/3½ cups Vegetable Stock (see page 12)
- 450g/1lb/3½ cups peeled and diced beetroots/beets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
HORSERADISH & DILL CREAM:
- 5 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp grated horseradish
- ½ tbsp chopped dill, plus extra to serve
- a pinch of salt
- Toss the apple and lemon juice together in a bowl and set aside. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and fry, stirring, for 3–5 minutes until softened. Add the caraway seeds and stir for 30 seconds until aromatic. Watch closely so they do not burn.
- Add the stock and beetroot/beets, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the horseradish and dill cream. Put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir, then cover and chill.
- Add the apple and any remaining lemon juice to the pan and simmer for another10 minutes until the beetroots/beets are tender. Blend the soup until smooth, then season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with the horseradish cream and an extra sprinkling of dill.
Credits: Extracted from I Love Soup by Beverly LeBlanc © Beverly LeBlanc 2016 published by Nourish Books, London. Paperback, £12.99