S’more Toast is perfect for when it’s cold outside and you feel all toasty and warm inside! Try this homemade chocolate-hazelnut spread on toast for the ultimate winter comfort food. You’ll have about 1½ cups (355 ml) of spread leftover too…(but don’t worry – no doubt you’ll find loads of ways to eat it – it’s delicious!)
Serves 4 (with leftover chocolate-hazelnut spread)
- 1¼ cups (175 g) hazelnuts (preferably already
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ (icing) sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola (rapeseed) oil
- ¾teaspoon flaky salt
- ½ pound (225 g) best-quality semisweet (dark)
- chocolate (greater than 60% cacao), finely chopped and melted
- Four ¾ inch (2 cm) thick slices rustic bread
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) unsalted butter, softened
- Flaky salt
- 16 marshmallows, quartered
Make the chocolate-hazelnut spread:
- Preheat the oven to 350ÅãF (180ÅãC/Gas Mark 4).
- Arrange the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, shaking the pan halfway through roasting, until golden brown, 12–15 minutes.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a heat-safe plate to cool. (If the hazelnuts are skin-on, wrap them in a tea towel, set aside for a minute, then use the towel to rub off the skins.)
- Once cool, transfer the nuts to a food processor and grind until they become a smooth paste, scraping down the bowl as needed, about 1–3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, honey, confectioners’ sugar, oil, and salt to the nut butter and blend until combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and process until combined, then scrape the mixture into an airtight container and leave out at room temperature to thicken for about 3 hours or overnight. (The spread can be refrigerated after 1 day for up to 2 weeks; let it sit out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before using so it returns to a spreadable consistency. Note that after refrigerating, the texture will be less smooth.)
Make the toast:
- Spread the bread slices with the butter and sprinkle with salt and then grill.
- Removegrill and swipe some chocolate-hazelnut spread over each slice. Top with a handful of marshmallows.
- Position an oven rack in the top third of the oven, then return the baking sheet to the grill. Grill the toasts until the marshmallows are golden brown, 15–30 seconds (watch the marshmallows closely as broiler intensities vary).
- Let cool for 1–2 minutes before serving.
Love baking and cooking with chocolate? We’ve got some amazing recipes for that…