Prep time: 25-30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
You will need a 24 cm round loose bottom tin
- 1 x 500g packet of sweet shortcrust pastry
- 6 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 300g blackberries
For the crumble topping:
- 175g plain flour
- 100g salted butter, room temperature
- 50g rolled porridge oats
- 100g demerara sugar
- 40g flaked almonds
- Pre heat the oven to 200C.
- Roll the pastry out in a large circle until it is 3mm thick and large enough to line your tin.
- Press the pastry into the base and sides of the tin leaving any excess pastry to overhang the tin edge. Line the tin with baking parchment then baking beans and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly golden around the edge. Remove the baking beans and paper and reduce the oven temperature to 160C. Place the tin back in the oven for another 10 minutes to dry out the bottom.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and use a serrated knife to cut off any excess pastry from the edge.
- Make the filling by mixing together the cornflour, sugar, cinnamon and orange zest. Add the sliced apples and toss everything together. Add the blackberries and mix once more.
- Make the crumble topping by rubbing together the flour and butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, oats and flaked almonds.
- Place the apple mixture into the cooked pastry case and spread out evenly. Then sprinkle over the crumble topping.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Once cooked remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin. Serve with ice cream or custard.
Recipe by www.bramleyapples.co.uk