Gather your little elves in the kitchen and get them to help you make these tasty little stars. Topped with a delicious icing, we bet these will be gone before you can say Christmas!
YOU WILL NEED:
Dr. Oetker Cake Release Spray
190g (7 ½ oz) plain flour
75g (3 oz) cocoa powder
12.5ml (2 ½ tsp) ground cinnamon
2.5ml (½ tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
125g (4 ½ oz) dark brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
75g (3oz) unsalted butter, melted
225g (8oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ Dark or Milk Chocolate
Dr. Oetker Soft Gold Pearls
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Spray 3 large baking trays with Cake Release Spray to grease. Sift the flour, cocoa, cinnamon and Baking Powder into a bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
2. Add the egg and melted butter and gradually combine the wet and dry ingredients together, along with 10-15ml (2-3 tsp) cold water to make a firm dough.
3. Turn on to a lightly floured work surface and knead gently until smooth. Divide into 2 pieces and roll one piece at a time to a thickness of 5mm (1/4inch). Using a 5cm (2inch) star cookie cutter, stamp out 44 stars, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
4. Transfer the stars to the baking trays, spaced a little apart. Prick with a fork and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4). Bake for 8-10 minutes until firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To decorate, break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of barely simmering water to melt. Remove from the heat but keep the chocolate over the water to prevent it from setting.
7. Spoon approx.1 tsp of the melted chocolate onto the centre of the star and carefully cover the biscuit with melted chocolate.
8. Decorate the edge of the star with Soft Gold Pearls before the chocolate sets. Allow to set completely in a cool place before serving.
Recipe: Dr. Oetker