This tasty roasted tomato on toast recipe is the perfect quick dinner for busy days when you want to spend more time curled up on the sofa relaxing in the evening than standing in the kitchen cooking.
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon (coarse) salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup (75 g) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 medium garlic clove, very finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Four .¾ inch (2 cm) thick slices country-style bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil for the bread
- plus extra for drizzling
- Kosher (coarse) salt, for the bread
- Flaky salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
To make the tomatoes and feta cream:
- Preheat the oven to 375F (190°C/Gas Mark 5)
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tomatoes cut side up on the baking
- In a small bowl, mix together the paprika, pepper, and ¼teaspoon of the salt. Drizzle the
- tomatoes with the oil and sprinkle with the paprika mixture.
- Roast until the juices are bubbling and the tomatoes are very tender and browned on the
- bottom (approx. 50 minutes–1 hour). Then remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the feta, yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, oregano, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Toast the bread an top each toast with a generous spoonful of the feta cream.
- Add a tomato, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with a pinch of flaky salt and a few grinds
- of pepper.
Inspired to explore more inventive toast toppings? Then you HAVE to try this…
Taken from Toast: The Cookbook by Raquel Pelzel. Published by Phaidon Press (£14.95)