Who doesn’t love a cheesy lasagne? This recipes uses a rich and tasty beef ragu sauce…yum!
Preparation Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
What you need:
For the beef ragu
1tbsp olive oil plus a little extra.
1 large onion finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic crushed
800g beef mince (10% fat is best)
1 heaped tbsp. flour
400l beef stock
A few good glugs of Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. tomato purée
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
For the cheesy sauce
English mustard 1tsp
whole Nutmeg a few scrapes
Salt & pepper
100g Cathedral City cheddar cheese plus 30g for the top
6-8 lasagne sheets
What you need to do:
Pre heat the oven to 200/ fan 180C/gas 6
- Brush a deep 25 cm by 25 cm square ceramic oven proof dish with olive oil.
- In a large deep frying pan heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until it starts to soften. Add the mince and cook until it is all browned.
- Stir in the flour and let it cook in for a minute then add the stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato purée and stir well to mix it all in. Add the tinned chopped tomato and sugar and stir again.
- Season and leave cook on a low heat for one hour stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened to a rich brown colour.
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes and then add the milk a little at a time, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick.
- Mix in the mustard and nutmeg and 100g of cathedral city cheddar cheese. Season to taste, cover and set aside until the ragu is ready.
- When the mince is cooked pour half in to the prepared oven dish place 3-4 lasagne sheets over the meat and then cover with half the cheese sauce.
- Repeat the process again with the remaining sauces and sprinkle the reserved cheddar on top.
- Cook in the oven for 35 to 40 mins until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with a crunchy green salad.
For more Cathedral City inspiration and recipe ideas see facebook.com/CathedralCity/