This recipe is the perfect hot appetizer for any festive feast or party occasion. Devil’s on Horseback are easy to prepare and difficult to share!
- 24 large prunes
- 100ml hot earl grey tea
- Orange rind
- 200ml cream sherry
- 24 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- A large flat tray and 24 toothpicks
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Place the prunes into a large bowl and rub the orange rind between your hands, so it releases its aroma.
- Heat the sherry, and then pour with the tea over the prunes.
- Add the orange rind, giving it a stir and leave to sit for 10 minutes. This should help plump the prunes up and give them loads of flavour.
- Lay out 6 slices of the bacon on a work surface and place a plumped prune on each rasher of bacon at end closest to you. Roll the prune up into the bacon and place on the cooking tray.
- Repeat until all of the bacon and prunes are used. You should have a little liquid left in the bowl, which will be used to baste the bacon as it cooks.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, brushing with the sherry mix every 5 minutes or so.
- Serve hot or warm!
Sherry soaked Devil’s on Horseback are a delicious occasional treat, served best with a Tassimo Kenco Medium Roast coffee. For more great festive recipes, click here!