A soufflé is a lightly baked cake, which can be served as a savoury treat or sweetened to enjoy as a dessert. We love these indulgent pumpkin soufflés made with delicious Prosciutto di San Daniele and creamy Grana Padano Cheese.
YOU WILL NEED:
850g Pumpkin or butternut squash
Salt and black pepper
Small white onion, cut in half
125g Grana Padano Cheese, grated
100g Prosciutto di San Daniele, thinly sliced and chopped
6 egg yolks
9 egg whites
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F. Cut the pumpkin into pieces, removing the skin and seeds and place in a baking tray, seasoning with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Bake for up to an hour or until soft and tender. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
3. Place the flesh in a blender or a food processor and puree. Set aside to cool.
4. To make the soufflé, melt the butter in a medium saucepan and add the flour, stirring to blend. Let the mixture bubble gently for a few minutes.
5. Meanwhile heat the milk with the salt and pepper, nutmeg, bay leaf and onion until boiling point. Pour this into the butter and flour mixture in the saucepan and stir until you have a thick but smooth paste. Remove from the heat.
6. Add the Grana Padano Cheese, followed by the pumpkin puree and the Prosciutto di San Daniele, and stir through. Add egg yolks then fold in soft peak egg whites.
7. Place the mixture in greased ramekins which have been lined with Grana Padano, then bake in the oven at 200˚C/400˚F for 12-15minutes. They should be well risen and browned.
Recipe: Giancarlo Caldesi for the Italian Consortiums of Grana Padano Cheese and Prosciutto di San Daniele, to promote Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) products
Like these? Try this…
Pumpkin-spiced roulade – another deliciously quirky way with pumpkin!