If you want to serve up a real treat, here’s the answer! This fruity cake is made with peaches & walnuts and decorated with exotic passion fruit.
YOU WILL NEED:
300g caster sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
300ml sunflower oil
200g banana, mashed
227g peach slices, tinned & roughly chopped
1tsp ground cinnamon
300g plain flour
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g walnuts, chopped
2tbsp Rachel’s Organic Fat Free Peach & Passion fruit Yoghurt
For the icing:
200g cream cheese
250g icing sugar
100g Rachel’s Organic Fat Free Peach & Passion fruit Yoghurt
For the syrup:
2 passion fruits
150g caster sugar
Makes: 10-12 slices
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20-25 mins
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 5.
2. Line and grease 3 20cm cake tins.
3. Place the sugar, eggs, oil, banana & peaches in a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer.
4. Add the cinnamon, flour, bicarbonate of soda slowly and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
5. Add the walnuts followed by the yogurt.
6. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared tins and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes, until springy to touch. Or use a skewer, if it comes out clean then the cakes are done.
7. Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack to cool.
8. Meanwhile prepare the icing. Soften the cream cheese by placing it in a bowl and beat until smooth, ideally with an electric mixer then add the icing sugar, beat again. When the mixture is completely smooth, add the yogurt.
9. When the cakes are cold spread half of the icing onto two of the cakes to make the bottom layers and finally sandwich the third cake on top.
10. Chill the cakes and continue to make the syrup. Cut each passion fruit in half and scoop out the flesh and seeds make sure to catch all the juice. In a small saucepan heat the passion fruit pulp with the sugar and allow the mixture to come to a rolling boil. Allow to cool slightly, the syrup should thicken as it cools. Take the cake from the refrigerator and pour over the syrup allowing it to drizzle down the sides of the cake.