This delicious sausage casserole by Le Creuset is a hearty meal influenced by Mediterranean-style cooking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 thick pork sausages, pricked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red, green and yellow pepper,
- deseeded and cut into large pieces
- 2 celery sticks, roughly diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 3 oregano sprigs
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 700ml chicken stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped spring onions and
- flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in the casserole over a medium heat, add the sausages and cook until browned all over. Remove the sausages from the pan and set to one side.
- Next add the onion, peppers and celery to the casserole and fry for 10–12 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, thyme, oregano and spices and fry for another 2–3 minutes. Add the vinegar and flour and cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes.
- Return the sausages to the casserole. Stir in the chicken stock, chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Serve the casserole with a sprinkling of spring onions and parsley. Try serving with crusty bread for mopping up the sauce.