Add something different to your mid-week routine by cooking this easy mac and cheese with a fun twist.
- 50g butter
- 3 tbsp Plain flour
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 litre Milk
- 600g Macaroni
- 150g Cheddar cheese
- 100g Parmesan
- 300g Breadcrumbs
- 2 Eggs
- Bottle vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Boil a large pan of salted water. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan and then add the flour. Stir until you have a paste.
- Add the sliced garlic and paste and cook for another 10mins.
- Gradually whisk in the milk getting rid of any lumps. Continue cooking and stir occasionally.
- Add the pasta to the water and cook through
- Mix the pasta with the sauce and stir in the cheese. You can also add a little Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste. You want the mixture to be fairly thick as it needs to form balls.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then begin to form golf-ball sized spheres. Smother each ball in the beaten egg and then coat in breadcrumbs. Once all balls are done, place on a tray and refrigerate for 15mins.
- In the meantime, heat the vegetable oil in a deep saucepan. Once hot enough (test a little piece of the mixture. If it bubbles it’s hot enough), add each ball in sets of about 5/6 and cook until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen roll to absorb the oil.
- Serve with Gran Luchito Smoked Chilli Ketchup