The perfect pumpkin soup recipe using seasonal veg. Carve out a pumpkin for Halloween and use the leftovers to make this dish!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 1kg pumpkins or squash (try kabocha), peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 142ml pot double cream
- 4 slices wholemeal seeded bread
- handful pumpkin seed from a packet
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then sweat 2 finely chopped onions for 5 mins, until soft. Add 1kg peeled, deseeded and chopped pumpkin to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften.
- Pour 700ml vegetable stock into the pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is soft. Pour the 142ml pot of double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender. Scatter with pumpkin seeds then serve.