Have a go at making one of our all-time favourite Chinese takeaway dishes, from one of our all-time favourite chefs, Ken Hom.
YOU WILL NEED:
200g sliced chicken breast
2tbsp rapeseed oil
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp grated orange zest
1 tsp grated lemon zest
100g diced onion or shallots
½ a red and ½ a green pepper diced
50g diced pineapple
1½ tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1heaped tbsp plum sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
½ tsp chilli sauce or freshly chopped red chilli
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
5g freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ chicken stock cube diluted in 125g hot water
½ tsp cornflour diluted with 1 tbsp of water
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Heat wok until smoking.
2. Add 1 tbsp of the oil and quickly fry chicken breast until browned and cooked halfway through. Remove chicken from wok and set aside.
3. Wipe wok and then add remaining tbsp of oil.
4. Add garlic, ginger and fry on a medium heat until lightly brown.
5. Add orange and lemon zest, lightly fry with garlic and ginger for 30 seconds.
6. Add chopped onions or shallots, green and red peppers and fry off in the wok until lightly browned, but still crunchy.
7. Add diluted chicken stock, ketchup, sugar, plum sauce, oyster sauce, soy and chillies to the wok bring to simmer, whilst stirring together.
8. Add the sealed chicken breast and cook through until tender.
9. Then add lemon juice and rice wine vinegar.
10. Finally add diluted cornflour to the sauce and simmer for one minute or until it thickens and is coating the chicken.
11. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Ken Hom’s range of chilled ready meals are available from Tesco. This year Ken celebrates 30 years as the nation’s favourite TV chef, to download a copy of his 30th career anniversary booklet, please visit www.kenhom.co.uk.