Crème brûlée consists of a deliciously rich custard base, topped with a layer of hard caramel. It looks impressive and this recipe is so simple to follow. It’s definitely on to impress guests!
YOU WILL NEED:
2 happy eggs
5 happy egg yolks
450ml double cream
Juice of 1 lemon
80g caster sugar
Plus extra to melt on the top: 1 tsp vanilla essence
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan, heat until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, then take off the heat.
2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, vanilla essence and lemon juice together, then slowly pour the cream mixture from the saucepan into the bowl, mixing continuously.
3. Take 4 ramekins, cover the bottom with a layer of raspberries, and then carefully, pouring the custard through a sieve, fill them.
4. Place the ramekins in an oven tray, pour water into the oven tray until it is 2/3 up the sides of the ramekins. Place in a preheated oven at 140°C for 50 minutes.
5. You’ll know they are set, when they wobble like a jelly; don’t let them set too firm or they’ll be more like scrambled eggs.
6. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with the remaining sugar then melt it with a blow torch forming a hard crust. Serve hot or cold.
Recipe: Mat Follas
Like this? Love this…
We’ve got lots more delicious desserts – these are all bursting with fruity flavours.