These delicious gingerbread men have a very fruity twist! Get baking a batch of these cute biscuits for the whole family to enjoy.
YOU WILL NEED:
200g self-raising flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
50g dark brown soft sugar
2 tbsp black treacle
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 finely grated zest of orange
For the icing:
100g icing sugar, sieved
Approx. 1 tbsp orange juice or water
Ocean Spray® Craisins® Dried Cranberries – to decorate
Makes: 10-12 large or 25 smaller men
Prep time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/170°C Fan/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets with butter. Sift the flour, ginger and cinnamon into a mixing bowl.
3. In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter, sugar, black treacle and golden syrup over low heat. Do not allow to boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the orange rind. Pour the butter mixture into the flour and mix thoroughly to form a soft dough.
4. Roll out the dough to approximately 6mm/ ¼” thick and cut 10-12 large shapes, or 25 small shapes, re-rolling the dough when necessary.
5. Cook for 6-10 minutes until just set and beginning to brown. Using a palette knife carefully lift the gingerbread men and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
6. For the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a small bowl and add the orange juice or water a teaspoon at a time until you get a smooth icing that runs off in thick ribbons. Using a piping bag or free hand decorate the gingerbread men with the icing and Craisins® Dried Cranberries.