Cranberry and pumpkin make a tasty combo! Perfect with your afternoon cuppa or a treat if you’ve got guests coming round, this cake is bursting with flavour. Butternut squash works as a great substitute if you haven’t got pumpkin.
YOU WILL NEED:
300g self-raising flour
300g light muscovado sugar
3 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
250g Ocean Spray® Craisins® Dried Cranberries
½ tsp salt
4 eggs , beaten
200g butter , melted
Zest 1 orange
1 tbsp orange juice
500g (peeled weight) pumpkin flesh, grated
For the icing:
300g cream cheese
85g butter, softened
150g icing sugar, sifted
1 – 2 tbsp orange juice
50g Ocean Spray® Craisins® Dried Cranberries, chopped
Prep time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm baking tin with baking parchment. Put the flour, sugar, spice, bicarbonate of soda, cranberries and salt into a large bowl and stir to combine.
3. Beat the eggs into the melted butter, stir in the orange zest and juice, then mix with the dry ingredients till combined. Stir in the pumpkin or butternut squash. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 35 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch and when a skewer is inserted, it comes out clean.
4. To make the icing, beat together the cheese, butter, icing sugar, and 1 tbsp orange juice till smooth and creamy, then set aside in the fridge. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then remove from the tin.
5. Give the cream cheese icing a quick beat to loosen and add more orange juice if needed. Spread the icing over the cake and swirl into a pattern. Sprinkle over the chopped cranberries.
Recipe: Ocean Spray
Like this? Try this…
If you’re looking for another cake to impress, this crunchy chocolate cheesecake could be the one!