The Spanish, cinnamon treat have become the latest must-try sweet treat. Serve with a creamy vanilla dip to make them ever more delicious.
YOU WILL NEED:
For the churros:
100g unsalted butter, cold diced
175g self raising flour, sieved
½ tsp baking powder, sieved
3 large eggs, beaten
1 tbsp Rachel’s low fat vanilla yogurt
Sunflower oil, for frying
For the cinnamon sugar:
150g caster sugar, for dusting
1tsp cinnamon, for dusting
For the dip:
225g Rachel’s low fat vanilla yogurt
Prep time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Take the butter and add to a pan containing 200ml cold water. Heat until boiling, then working quickly remove from the heat.
2. Add the sieved flour and baking powder, and beat rapidly until a smooth paste is formed which should come away cleanly from the sides of the pan.
3. Allow the mixture to cool slightly and add the beaten eggs one at a time. After each addition ensure the mixture is glossy and continue until it is combined. Add the yogurt and stir again.
4. Leave to rest covered with cling film or a tea towel for 30 minutes.
5. In a bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon and reserve this for dusting.
6. Fill a large saucepan a third full with sunflower oil. Heat until sizzling or until a cube of bread browns in one minute. Take a large piping bag with a star nozzle and fill it with batter.
7. Squeeze the batter into 5cm lengths into the hot oil and snip the end with either a knife or scissors. Do not pipe more than three lengths at any one time as they will stick together.
8. Carefully turn each churro in the hot oil until all sides are golden brown and crispy.
9. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen roll. Roll quickly in the cinnamon sugar and serve with the yogurt as a dip.