Just when we thought that mac and cheese couldn’t get any better, we tried this irresistible recipe…
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 300g macaroni pasta
- 150g chorizo, cut into chunks
- 800ml Yeo Valley Whole Milk
- 1 clove garlic, whole but slightly squashed
- 2 shallots, peeled
- Bay leaf
- 60g Yeo Valley Butter
- 60g plain flour
- 150g Cheddar cheese
- Black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions and drain. Heat a frying pan and cook the chorizo until it’s crisp. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon onto kitchen roll to drain.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/ Gas Mark 5. Pour the milk into a pan with the garlic, shallots and bay. Warm gently but don’t boil.
- While the milk warms, melt the butter in another saucepan. Add the flour to the pan and stir continuously with a wooden spoon to make a thick, smooth roux.
- When the milk is hot but not boiling, strain it, then slowly add it to the roux, whisking until it comes to the boil and thickens. Bubble for 2 mins then add half the Cheddar cheese and black pepper.
- Mix together the sauce, pasta and chorizo and tip into an oven dish. Sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese over the top and cook for 25 mins until golden.