Sometimes you just can’t beat pie and mash for dinner. These impressive chicken and mushroom pot pies are so easy to make and when served with mash, they make a real comfort food treat.
YOU WILL NEED:
1 leek or onion, thinly sliced
1tbsp sunflower oil
1/2tsp dried tarragon
100ml white wine
410g can condensed mushroom soup
250g cooked chicken (leg meat is ideal), shredded
125g petits pois, or any peas defrosted
1tbsp wholegrain mustard
250g puff pastry
1 free-range egg, beaten
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Heat oven to 210°C/gas mark 7.
2. In a pan, fry onion or leek in oil for 5 mins until soft. Add the tarragon and wine then increase heat and boil until reduced by half.
3. Add in the soup, chicken, peas and mustard and heat to a simmer, then divide between 4x300ml capacity ovenproof pots.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut out 4 lids, 3cm larger than the pots. Brush a little egg around the rim of each pot, add a pastry disc and lightly firm overhang onto sides. Brush the pastry with egg, cut in an air vent and put pies on a baking tray.
5. Bake for 15-20 mins until the pastry is deep golden.