Treat yourself to this delicious dessert for just 80p per serving! The meringue top adds just the right amount of crunch!
YOU WILL NEED
375g short crust pastry
400g fresh gooseberries
50g caster sugar
3 tbsp cornflour
4 egg yolks
75g unsalted butter
100g Rachel’s gooseberry yogurt
4 egg whites
115g caster sugar
115g icing sugar
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Cost per serving: 80p
HOW TO DO IT
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease the tart case and line with pastry. Chill the pastry for ten minutes in the fridge as this will prevent the pastry shrinking.
2. Cut out a sheet of parchment paper or greaseproof paper the same size as the tart, crumple and place inside the tart case. Pre-bake with baking beans for 20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and lightly browned.
3. Make the filling by adding the gooseberries together with the sugar and 250ml of water in a pan and simmer until the fruit is soft. Drain the liquid off and reserve the gooseberries.
4. Use the liquid to make a paste with the cornflour and stir this on the heat until it thickens. Beat in the egg yolks and butter. Allow to cool slightly and add the yogurt, then stir. Re-add the gooseberries and stir again. Pour the mixture into the tart case.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add the caster sugar in three stages on full mixer speed. When the caster sugar is all incorporated, fold in the icing sugar in two stages with a metal spoon or spatula.
6. Pipe or spoon the meringue on top of the filling.
7. Bake on 150C/300F/Gas Mark 2 for 30/ 40 minutes until lightly brown and crisp.
Like this? Try this:
Anyone for a chorizo cocktail? It’s time to get experimental!