Meryl may not have won an award, but she basically won the Oscars
Here are 10 times Meryl Streep proved she was completely magnificent!
1. When she got a standing ovation at the Oscars 2017
The Oscars 2017 had barely began when Meryl received a standing ovation from the crowd. Host Jimmy Kimmel joked that the actress was ‘clearly undeserving’ of her 20th Oscar nomination – a clear dig at Donal Trump’s jibe that Meryl is ‘overrated’. Jimmy then asked Meryl to stand up and take a bow – to which the actress happily obliged. But as she rose from her seat, so did the the crowd. Surrounding celebs like Emma Stone, Ryan Gosling, Viola Davis, Nicole Kidman and Dev Patel all gave the actress a standing ovation to show their respect – and rightly deserved too!
2. When she dived into this celeb-filled Oscar selfie and made history
This star-studded selfie at the 2014 Oscars made history after becoming the most retweeted picture on Twitter after clocking up 1 millions retweets just 45 minutes after it was uploaded! And it seems that Meryl was more than happy to smile for the cameras to mark this momentous occasion. With Hollywood hunks such as Bradley Cooper and Brad Pitt in the frame who can blame her?
3. When her eyes lit up describing our very own Benedict Cumberbatch
They starred alongside each other in 2013 drama August: Osage County, and even though it was Meryl who walked away with Oscar and Golden Globe nominations, it seems that the dashing Sherlock actor certainly proved a winner in at least one category – Meryl’s heart.
4. When she summed up the formula for happiness in three simple words
5. When she was immortalised in our favourite sweet treats for this Instagram account…
@tasteofstreep is the brain child of Brooklyn-based actor and graphic designer Samantha Raye, who photoshops some of Meryl’s best photographic moments into cakes, bakes and every sugary creation in-between solely for our scrolling pleasure. One click and you’ll be hooked!
6. When she proved that there was no accent she couldn’t master!
7. When she donated her ENTIRE salary for The Iron Lady to a worthwhile cause
She earned a cool $1 million for her uncanny turn as the UK’s first female prime minister Margaret Thatcher, before donating every last cent to help towards turning the currently virtual National Women’s History Museum into a bricks and mortar reality. Explaining her decision on The Ellen Show she said: “we feel that women’s history needs to be told”. Well said Meryl!
8. When she had this reaction to Patricia Arquette’s comments on equal pay for women
9. When she gets mistaken for Glenn Close and takes it in all in her stride
Both actresses have a similar facial features, a string of awards to their name and spots on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, so it’s hardly surprising one often gets mistaken for the other. Luckily though, it seems that this hasn’t led to rivalry between the pair. Here’s what Meryl had to say on the matter: “On behalf of Glenn Close and me, who are often mistaken for each other, there should be no illusions…I adore her.”
9. When James Corden had this to say about her rapping skills…
James and Meryl both starred in the 2014 film Into the Woods, which saw Meryl busting some rhymes in her on-screen role as a once-beautiful witch. So impressed was James with her rapping skills that he even suggested that a “second career beckons” for the A-lister. Asked to describe her rapping style, he said that she is “less an Eminem, more a 50 Cent type. Mainstream with an edge”. Who knew?