Update the family favourite bread and butter pudding by adding chocolate. This quick and easy classic costs £1.40 per serving and takes 45 minutes to prepare and a day to chill.
YOU WILL NEED
9 large slices thick, day-old white bread
150g dark chocolate
425ml whipping cream
4tbsp rum (optional)
110g caster sugar
Cream or custard, to serve
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins, plus one day for chilling
Cost per serving :£1.40
HOW TO DO IT
1. Remove the crusts from the bread and cut each slice into 4 triangles.
2. Place the chocolate, whipping cream, rum, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl and set over a pan of simmering water – do not allow the bowl to touch the water. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
3. In a clean bowl, whisk the eggs. Pour in the chocolate mixture and whisk to blend. Spoon a 1cm layer into the base of a 18x23cm shallow ovenproof dish and arrange half the bread triangles over the chocolate in overlapping rows. Pour half the remaining chocolate mixture evenly over the bread. Arrange the next layer of bread and finish off with the rest of the chocolate. Use a fork to press down the bread.
4. Cover with cling film and leave to stand at room temperature for 2hrs before transferring to the fridge for a minimum of 24hrs before cooking.
5. When ready to cook, heat the oven to 180°c/Gas 4. Remove the cling film and bake on a high shelf for 30-35 mins. Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving with cream or custard.
Enjoy after another family favourite, roast chicken!