Cherry pie, how we love you so. We’re partial to a slice of the berry treat every now and again, so our eyes lit up when we saw this very cute rendition of one our favourite treats. They also make the perfect foodie gift, if you can face sharing!
YOU WILL NEED:
1 x 500g block chilled shortcrust pastry e.g Jus-Rol
Flour for rolling
For the filling:
450g frozen cherries
450g frozen mixed berries
125ml Ocean Spray® Cranberry and Cherry juice drink
4 tbsp cornflour
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp lemon zest
12 oven-proof lollipop sticks, cut in half
1 egg white, beaten
Coloured sugars to decorate (optional)
Makes: 24 pie pops
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Allow the pastry to come to room temperature then roll out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of a £1 coin.
2. Using a 2 ¼ inch biscuit cutter or a glass, cut out about 24 circles (you may need to re-roll). Place 12 circles on a parchment lined baking sheet; set aside the remaining 12.
3. Place a lollipop stick in the centre of each of the 12 circles on the baking sheet.
4. Preheat the oven to 190C. Meanwhile combine all the filling ingredients in a large saucepan. Mix well. Cook over a medium heat, stirring frequently until thickened. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
5. Place a heaped teaspoon of filling onto the 12 pastry circles with sticks, being careful not to get any filling on the edges. Top each circle with the other pastry circles and press to seal the edges.
6. Brush each pie pop with beaten egg white. If desired, sprinkle with coloured sugar.
7. Bake until very lightly browned (about 13-15 mins). Let them cool completely. To give as a gift you can wrap each pie pop with cellophane and tie with a ribbon.