YOU WILL NEED
500ml single cream
1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped out OR 1tsp vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
110g caster sugar
For the plums:
2tbsp runny honey
100g soft brown sugar
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1hr 5 mins
Cost per serving: 80p
HOW TO DO IT
1. Preheat the oven to 150°c/Gas 2. Place the cream, milk, vanilla pod and seeds, or extract, in a pan over a high heat until it comes to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Place the eggs, extra yolks and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk. Gradually add the hot cream mixture to the eggs and sugar, whisking until combined.
3. Strain the custard into 6 ramekins and place into a bain-marie, or a roasting pan filled with hot water until its two-thirds of the way up of the ramekins, and bake for 45 mins or until just set. Remove from the oven and the water and allow to stand for 15 mins.
4. Halve and stone the plums then cut into slices. Heat the butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the plums, honey and sugar and toss in the butter. Cook for 3-4 mins, or until the plums are soft but not collapsing.
5. Spoon the plums on top of the custard and serve.