One of the tempting chocolate madeleines just isn’t enough! Created by Bake Off winner, John Whaite, they really are a must-make. We’ll be making these for our Big Chocolate Tea Party to raise money for The Sick Children’s Trust.
YOU WILL NEED:
100g salted butter
2 medium eggs
100g caster sugar
1tsp instant freeze-dried coffee
85g plain flour
15g cocoa powder
For the sauce:
150ml double cream
1tsp instant freeze-dried coffee powder
150g plain chocolate, roughly chopped
You will also need a 16-hole madeleine tin (or a 12-hole shallow bun tin), greased and floured.
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Do not let it boil. Set aside.
2. Put the eggs, sugar and coffee in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand-held electric whisk until light and fluffy and tripled in volume. If you have a freestanding electric mixer, you can do this using the whisk attachment. This will take 12–15 minutes.
3. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the egg mixture, and pour in the butter. Gently, and I mean gently, fold these additions into the egg until smooth and silky.
4. Divide the mixture between the holes of the prepared madeleine mould – I fi nd it works out at 2 teaspoons per madeleine.
5. Bake for 8–10 minutes (a minute or two longer if using a bun tin), or until the madeleines look slightly browned around the edge. Turn them out of the tin as soon as they are baked or they will stick.
6. For the sauce: Place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl.
7. Heat the milk in a small saucepan with the coffee granules, stirring until dissolved.
8. When the coffee cream starts to bubble around the edges pour it immediately onto the chocolate and let it melt together for just 10 seconds, then stir to a smooth glossy sauce with a whisk.