Halloween may seem all about sugar and sweets but you can still treat yourself if you’re trying to be good. Step forward this healthy pumpkin pie.
YOU WILL NEED:
6 sheets filo pastry
300g pumpkin flesh (cooked)
2 Happy Eggs
1 Happy Egg white
50g English Heather Honey
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
Prep time: 10 mins plus overnight resting time
Cook time: 45-50 mins
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. The evening before, dice the Pumpkin and boil in water for 10 minutes until soft. Puree it in a blender then place in a muslin cloth and hang it over a bowl to catch the juice, overnight.
2. Line 4 ramekins with 6 layers of filo pastry (stagger them and let them hang over the sides). Brush each layer of pastry with egg white as you place them in the ramekins.
3. Place a handful of baking beads onto some cling film and wrap it to make a bag. Make 4 of these. Place the bags of baking beads onto the filo pastry cases and blind bake in a preheated oven at 160C for 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, and then take the bags of baking beads out. Re-glaze the inside of the filo basket with egg white and place back in the oven for a further 2 minutes.
5. In a bowl, mix the Pumpkin flesh, allspice, ginger, cinnamon, eggs and honey.
6. Divide in to 4 and spoon into the filo parcels (still in ramekins).
7. Place in an oven at 140C for 30 – 40 minutes until the mixture is set (has a firm wobble).
Recipe: happy egg co
Like these? Try this:
Roasted pumpkin salad. Another deliciously healthy way to use it up!