These cute Christmas jars make the perfect gift for any foodie lover. Mulled wine cupcakes are topped with Irish whiskey and chestnut frosting – it really is Christmas in a jar!
YOU WILL NEED:
300g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
175g Kerrygold block butter, now softer
150g light soft brown sugar
Finely grated rind of 1 orange
150ml soured cream
150ml mulled wine, room temperature
For the Irish whiskey and chestnut frosting:
200g Kerrygold block butter, now softer
100g chestnut puree
450g golden icing sugar
2-3 tbsp Irish whiskey
Makes: 8-10 cupcakes
HOW TO MAKE THEM:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease and base line a shallow rectangular baking tin approximately 35 cm x 25cm. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a bowl.
2. Using an electric whisk beat the butter, sugar and orange rind together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and soured cream.
3. Alternatively fold in the flour mixture and mulled wine in three additions. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes until golden and cooked through. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the frosting, Beat the butter and chestnut puree together in a bowl using an electric whisk. Gradually beat in the sugar then the whiskey.
5. Using a plain pastry cutter slightly smaller than the top of the jars, cut out circles from the cooled cake. Carefully fit a layer of cake in the base of each jar. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle with the frosting and pipe a layer over the cake. Top with another circle of cake, pushing down to fit snugly. Pipe a rosette of frosting on top of each cake and secure the lid to the jar. Tie each with a ribbon before serving.
This recipe was made using Kerrygold block butter, now softer. For more information on Kerrygold and some delicious recipe ideas, visit www.facebook.com/KerrygoldUK
Want more easy, delicious, festive recipes? Download our Christmas Made Easy app – just £1.99 on your iPad.
Don’t forget to rate us!
ciously tempting chocolate brownie cupcakes.