Sticky toffee pudding is one of our all-time favourite desserts – it always takes us back to our childhood. It’s no secret that we also like chocolate, so this chocolate sticky toffee pudding cake is right up our street…surprise, surprise!
YOU WILL NEED:
150g Green & Black’s Dark Cooking Chocolate
300ml boiling water
150g chopped dates
100g unsalted butter, softened
150 Fairtrade soft light brown sugar or light muscovado sugar
3 large free-range eggs
225g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
For the toffee sauce:
140g golden syrup
140g Fairtrade light brown sugar
50g unsalted butter
115ml whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 ºc/Gas Mark 4. Grease the sides of a 20cm springform tin and line the base with a round disc of baking parchment.
2. Put the water in a saucepan, reduce to a simmer and soak the dates in it for 10 minutes. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave or a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, then set aside to cool.
3. Cream the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one by one, and then mix in the melted chocolate.
4. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, then add the dates and their soaking liquid and stir to mix. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes until it feels springy to touch or a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. To make the toffee sauce, put all the ingredients into a saucepan over a high heat and boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly.
6. Serve the cake warm on a large plate and pour a generous amount of the hot toffee sauce over the top. Pour the rest into a jug and pass around for people to help themselves.