The ultimate mix of savoury and sweet, this bacon and banana bread recipe with salted caramel sauced has been thought up by experimental chef Heston Blumenthal!
For the Banana Bread…
- 350g Ripe bananas
- 120g Plain flour
- 80g Dehydrated banana slices, chopped
- 2 ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 160g Golden caster sugar
- 2 Whole eggs
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter, softened
- 200g Alderwood smoked bacon
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Place the bananas in a blender and blitz to a puree consistency.
- In a stand up mixer with a paddle, cream the butter and the sugar.
- Add the eggs.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and dehydrated bananas. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the mixer and continue to mix for 5 minutes.
- Fold in the banana puree.
- Add the mixture to a loaf tin and place in the oven. Cook for approximately 1 hour.
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cake rack.
- In the meantime, change the temperature in the oven to 180C, place the bacon on a tray lined with parchment paper and place in the oven. Cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place the bacon in a blender and blitz to a small size.
- Once the loaf has cooled, drizzle some of the caramel sauce on top and sprinkle the bacon bits.
For the Salted Caramel Sauce…
- 140g Demerara sugar
- 115g Golden syrup
- 115g Double cream
- 30g Unsalted cream
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil
- Whisk until the sauce reaches 120C, remove the pan from the heat
- Allow to cool to room temperature before drizzling over the loaf