Ever tried beetroot in a cake? It might sound weird but it tastes delicious! Serve up slices of this American style beetroot pie for a real quirky treat.
YOU WILL NEED:
250g shortcrust pastry
325g plain cooked (vacuum packed) beetroot, drained
75g soft brown sugar
2tsp ground mixed spice
½ tsp ground allspice (optional)
½ tsp ground ginger (optional)
250ml double cream
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45-50 mins
HOW TO MAKE IT:
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/Gas Mark 6.
2. Roll out the pastry and use it to line a 23cm loose bottomed pie tin. Line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 20 minutes.
3. Whilst the pastry is baking, prepare the filling by pureeing the beetroot along with the eggs in a food processor.
4. In a small saucepan add the sugar, all the spices and cream and bring slowly up to a simmering point. Pour into the food processor and mix thoroughly with the beetroot puree.
5. Remove the pastry case from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180˚C/Gas Mark 4.
6. Pour the filling carefully into the pastry case and bake for around 25-30 minutes. The edge should be puffed up a little and the centre will still be a touch wobbly. Allow to cool and chill in the fridge. Serve with crème fraiche.
Like this? Try this…
For another tempting tart, try this moreish chocolate orange recipe.